Skip to main content

Long Time.... But Harvesting We Go!


 
Well it's been a minute my fellow MM's. I've been feverishly working, whether on my
9-5, side projects, and event planning as Executive Director of my heart Mae's Breath Foundation.
I've been doing the meds thing, and my stomach shows the after affect of those painful $%7 Bortezomib or better known Velcade shots. It's amazing ....  take a shot today and 5 days later I look down at my stomach to see a strange birthmark-like mark appear- yet everyone says it'll go away eventually... yeah right -like my chest radiation scar that took like 5 years or so to finally disappear... sought of!

Anywho...

The good news I suppose is my cancer and the recent yet current meds has brought me to 90% remission. I started treatment in October of 2014 and here it is March 2015, and in these short months my IGA level has dropped from 7000 (Not Good) to 400 (Very Good). I can't say I'm totally ecstatic because we all know how this cancer works... or do we? I'm happy my numbers are going down but a cancer survivor is always looking over his/ her shoulder because this thing can show the fool at any minute! However, I leave it in God's hands as usual to get me through this, plus I did say 90% and not 100% and my Dr., is pushing for that 100%. I say all this to say ... harvesting or to harvest has been discussed. Harvest my cells that are doing great to redistribute in the case I turn to the left down the line. I've made my own decision earlier on not to go through with SCT (Stem Cell Transplant), but for my husband's sake and the push of my medical team I have agreed to atleast harvest (store) in the case I change my mind or life changes it for me. I've got 10 years to think about it, as that's how long it can be stored.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



I met my nurse Marlene this week to sign and initial my life on educating me on the process and meeting the Apheresis team... yeah I had to look that one up too! Anyway, this team will do the actual harvest in about 2 weeks - basically draining my blood in getting access to the goods cells to harvest all while returning my blood  back into my system (something like that), that will one day if at all save my life, or give me a few years. It's the most amazing yet scariest ^#$%#87 ever!
Now readers my worrisome is not about the harvest so much - it's about the big %#$$%76
18 gauge needle they'll needle to stick in my neck to apply a port. LIKE WTF IS HAPPENING!
More pain and uncomfortable situations, more questions, more wonder of what this side effect will do. I'm so tired and want my old life back, but do I? Some aspects I suppose, but these life occurrences just show and remind us just how short life really is and as I always say... live it!

I'll keep you abreast of the results folks!

Cheers

Y

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plugging Multiple Myeloma

I had a wonderful conversation with a new friend on the trials of myeloma, and it was interesting that we’ve both experienced to some degree the nonchalant reactions when faced with our disease. The saying to walk a mile in one's own moccasins could never be far from the truth, sometimes you get the feeling that no one cares or your cause and or experience is not of interest...., or better yet taken seriously.... I'm reviewing various sources to promote Another Face of Multiple Myeloma , and after extensive research I found there a not many books on patient related experiences, which I find odd, with the exception of popular myeloma blogger Pat Killingsley, I found just two other personal stories from author's penned memoirs on myeloma, and one unfortunately passed away and the other I'm desperately trying to gather contact information. I was in the process of working with a top myeloma foundation to present my book to readers that could possbly relate to my experi

Mud Girl Obstacle 2023

 This was my first race that was a thrill to take part in. Multiple Myeloma has been a crutch that I've been able to keep at the back end of my shoulder. It is essential to keep living and doing which I tend to do at the 10th degree. Despite the labels, the Mudrun race was a new thing to do and crush. I live by breaking the rules and breaking those assumptions that life stalls. We do know life is short and I find it my kryptonite to not allow the powers that be which sometimes are out of my control to limit what I want to do; perhaps Im fortunate in being able to do things with some limits of course with a different mindset than most.  Crushing this feat of a 3-mile race with 17 obstacles in the mud, and making it through my fear of heights has now allowed me to consider other bucket list possibilities within reason to take a stab at. Cheers to living your best, even when the "You" has been tested at all degrees. Courtesy: Spitfir Production Courtesy: Spitfir Production

Nominated for Social Health Awards- Community Cultivator

  Click Here for Details