Skip to main content

Ageism and Cancer


Cancer has a way of effecting chaos in anything it gets in contact with. It can also be said and witnessed that it does not discriminate in color or age. In this post I wanted to talk a bit about age and how anyone can be diagnosed with the cancer. There are 100,000 babies diagnosed with some form of cancer; The most commonly known are leukemia, brain, retinoblastoma (eye), and neuroblastoma (stomach). How can it be a that a child fresh and new has in some way been subjected to cancer so young? It's so sad to hear stories whether your new to this earth or have lived a full life, you just may be affected with some form of cancer in your lifetime.

I recall some years back it was assumed if someone in your immediate family had cancer, you may be be predisposed as a hereditary trait, but the way it now shows this is no longer the thought. There are so many factors to consider besides hereditary traits:
Environment
Food
Water
Chemicals
Age



This post I wanted to just touch a bit on the age factor.

Children
Approximately 1 in 285 children in the U.S. will be diagnosed with cancer before the age of 20

*The National Children's Cancer Society

Young Adults
The most common cancers among adolescents age 15-19 are Hodgkin lymphoma, thyroid carcinoma, brain and central nervous system and testicular germ cell tumors

 *The National Children's Cancer Society

Adults
Most young adults from the ages of 20-39 are commonly affected with:
-Breast Cancer
-Leukemia
-Testicular Cancer
-Lymphoma
-Thyroid

To name a few.

* American Cancer Society
 
Seniors

Many in the senior sector are living longer and the amount of diseases are even more prevalent with later age. This is not to say everyone will have cancer at 60 or 70, but the toll of age related ailments may show form. For those in their mid 60's it has been suggested that this age group is 10 times greater to show some form or cancer than younger patients.
Those cancers that show a strong association with mortality for this age group are:
-Prostate
-Uterine
-Pancreas
-Stomach
-Lung
-Rectum

Heart disease has been considered the leading cause of senior mortality, but now cancer has taken the lead in various forms.

Are there any true differences in care for those younger vs. older? Cancer treatment always reference to individual tolerance. We can't say because you're younger you have a better go with beating cancer, than someone in their 80's. It's really a toss up in getting a diagnosis early on, to gearing up for a proper treatment plan. Can you sustain the harsh medications, mental, and physical tolls? That is the real question for any age.

Unfortunately all ages can be affected from any chronic disease. Ageism and cancer is a very real reality.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Childrens Book on Multiple Myeloma

 I've found I can talk with an adult all day about life with a multiple myeloma diagnosis, some get it, some are still clueless...it is what it is. Multiple Myeloma is relatable for those who are on their own journey, or those who have had a family or friend who was taken from them because of it.  The conversation around cancer with young children holds a certain complexity. The question arises, should you say anything about it with small children as opposed to older children? How do you start the conversation? Is it necessary to be so candid with subtlety? After being diagnosed myself at an early age, and found myself in need of my own comfort in bringing on this conversation.   Follow my journey as I start promoting my new book...title to be debuted at a later time on my social media page -Instagram @myelomachick . Whether having small children, grandchildren, nieces, or nephews...How have you shared your story with multiple myeloma? Y

Explaining Multiple Myeloma to Children

  We always think about how an adult processes the news of cancer; However, what about a child? A young one at that... During Multiple Myeloma Awareness Month , I will launch a children's book titled " Mama's Blood is Purple and Pink"  and discuss how to address the elephant in the room, such as cancer. I've written a story of how the conversation can go without it being scary for a child, when it can be, and is a scary experience. Debuting end of March 2026. Preorders available here We're also looking at Guest speakers to join the conversation here Further details will be shared on my Instagram page or website

Still Kicking and Moving All Around

Hey Everyone, I'm doing well on this end. I'm currently in remission, and my follow-up next week will actually reconfirm that. We will also discuss the next steps. A lot has taken place this year and I'm just moving with the flow of things. I've been doing my share of writing via different formats online, so I'm excited about helping those also going through myeloma or any other blood-related cancer. I know this is still a harsh struggle for so many of my fellow MM's. I know in the past few months a few people I follow on social media have had a time with the prognosis of their disease, and one has recently passed away. When I hear stories like this it reminds me, that no matter remission this is still a blunt reality that never leaves you. I will always be on pins and needles, as so many of us living this new life. However, with that said I'm LIVING MY BEST LIFE  and doing what I want to do, with a great bunch of friends and family in my corner. Chec...