Skip to main content

Advantages of a Social Worker


Last week at my lab appointment I was excited to see that my hospital or myeloma department,
is offering massage therapy sessions. I was soooooooooooooooooooooooo excited!
I use to get massages every month twice a month, but with myeloma ..... it's very important to be careful in this gentle form of relaxation.... if you will.
Having someone pound on your spine may not be the most comfortable for a myeloma patient; it may actually do more harm than good.

How would you know this? I guess for me it's common sense, but what about so many of myeloma patients who just don't know what they should and should no longer take part in?
-Should we take part in Diving? Skateboarding? Rollerskating? Remember for me I'm still on the young side and there's certain things I like to do... like rollerskating.... but can you imagine a hard slam if that right foot misses it's bearing? ^$%#*$ Ouch!

Even almost 6 years in this mess, there are some details I would like clarity in other than the Internet.
In the case of the program I spoke of, when I called the wellness coordinator who was very kind,  advised this is a program that is mainly for those who are currently seeking treatment, and this form of relaxation, while getting infusions is offered for these patients- so I'm out of the running for this, well at least with the hospital footing the bill.
Rather ending the conversation there, I asked more about the wellness program, and a social worker.
What I've found as I mentioned in my book, the doctors don't necessarily give you the 411 on what and who to contact for other pertinent must know services. I find this so bizarre, like would a nutritionist be recommended right off the back? Nope
Wouldn't a support group be suggested right after diagnosis? Nope
Should you still go to your general practitioner? Nope
If you don't pound and question and at times be a bugaboo about these queries you'll stay at the clueless stage. Push and pull for the social worker. I was surprised that the myeloma social worker contacted the next day to discuss further details that I inquired through the Wellness Coordinator, that showed me someone was really listening to me on the other end of the phone- that said a lot and means a  bunch as I try and continue on my healthy train of myeloma stability.


Well my last vacation to Jamaica I did get that massage- but with great scrutiny of the type of massage services, and warning the masseuse I'll be needing that light touch- thank you.

It's tough but we can still take part in an active life...... with care.
 
Cheers from Samantha and I


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plugging Multiple Myeloma

I had a wonderful conversation with a new friend on the trials of myeloma, and it was interesting that we’ve both experienced to some degree the nonchalant reactions when faced with our disease. The saying to walk a mile in one's own moccasins could never be far from the truth, sometimes you get the feeling that no one cares or your cause and or experience is not of interest...., or better yet taken seriously.... I'm reviewing various sources to promote Another Face of Multiple Myeloma , and after extensive research I found there a not many books on patient related experiences, which I find odd, with the exception of popular myeloma blogger Pat Killingsley, I found just two other personal stories from author's penned memoirs on myeloma, and one unfortunately passed away and the other I'm desperately trying to gather contact information. I was in the process of working with a top myeloma foundation to present my book to readers that could possbly relate to my experi

Mud Girl Obstacle 2023

 This was my first race that was a thrill to take part in. Multiple Myeloma has been a crutch that I've been able to keep at the back end of my shoulder. It is essential to keep living and doing which I tend to do at the 10th degree. Despite the labels, the Mudrun race was a new thing to do and crush. I live by breaking the rules and breaking those assumptions that life stalls. We do know life is short and I find it my kryptonite to not allow the powers that be which sometimes are out of my control to limit what I want to do; perhaps Im fortunate in being able to do things with some limits of course with a different mindset than most.  Crushing this feat of a 3-mile race with 17 obstacles in the mud, and making it through my fear of heights has now allowed me to consider other bucket list possibilities within reason to take a stab at. Cheers to living your best, even when the "You" has been tested at all degrees. Courtesy: Spitfir Production Courtesy: Spitfir Production

Nominated for Social Health Awards- Community Cultivator

  Click Here for Details