Skip to main content

Advantages of a Social Worker


Last week at my lab appointment I was excited to see that my hospital or myeloma department,
is offering massage therapy sessions. I was soooooooooooooooooooooooo excited!
I use to get massages every month twice a month, but with myeloma ..... it's very important to be careful in this gentle form of relaxation.... if you will.
Having someone pound on your spine may not be the most comfortable for a myeloma patient; it may actually do more harm than good.

How would you know this? I guess for me it's common sense, but what about so many of myeloma patients who just don't know what they should and should no longer take part in?
-Should we take part in Diving? Skateboarding? Rollerskating? Remember for me I'm still on the young side and there's certain things I like to do... like rollerskating.... but can you imagine a hard slam if that right foot misses it's bearing? ^$%#*$ Ouch!

Even almost 6 years in this mess, there are some details I would like clarity in other than the Internet.
In the case of the program I spoke of, when I called the wellness coordinator who was very kind,  advised this is a program that is mainly for those who are currently seeking treatment, and this form of relaxation, while getting infusions is offered for these patients- so I'm out of the running for this, well at least with the hospital footing the bill.
Rather ending the conversation there, I asked more about the wellness program, and a social worker.
What I've found as I mentioned in my book, the doctors don't necessarily give you the 411 on what and who to contact for other pertinent must know services. I find this so bizarre, like would a nutritionist be recommended right off the back? Nope
Wouldn't a support group be suggested right after diagnosis? Nope
Should you still go to your general practitioner? Nope
If you don't pound and question and at times be a bugaboo about these queries you'll stay at the clueless stage. Push and pull for the social worker. I was surprised that the myeloma social worker contacted the next day to discuss further details that I inquired through the Wellness Coordinator, that showed me someone was really listening to me on the other end of the phone- that said a lot and means a  bunch as I try and continue on my healthy train of myeloma stability.


Well my last vacation to Jamaica I did get that massage- but with great scrutiny of the type of massage services, and warning the masseuse I'll be needing that light touch- thank you.

It's tough but we can still take part in an active life...... with care.
 
Cheers from Samantha and I


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Childrens Book on Multiple Myeloma

 I've found I can talk with an adult all day about life with a multiple myeloma diagnosis, some get it, some are still clueless...it is what it is. Multiple Myeloma is relatable for those who are on their own journey, or those who have had a family or friend who was taken from them because of it.  The conversation around cancer with young children holds a certain complexity. The question arises, should you say anything about it with small children as opposed to older children? How do you start the conversation? Is it necessary to be so candid with subtlety? After being diagnosed myself at an early age, and found myself in need of my own comfort in bringing on this conversation.   Follow my journey as I start promoting my new book...title to be debuted at a later time on my social media page -Instagram @myelomachick . Whether having small children, grandchildren, nieces, or nephews...How have you shared your story with multiple myeloma? Y

Explaining Multiple Myeloma to Children

  We always think about how an adult processes the news of cancer; However, what about a child? A young one at that... During Multiple Myeloma Awareness Month , I will launch a children's book titled " Mama's Blood is Purple and Pink"  and discuss how to address the elephant in the room, such as cancer. I've written a story of how the conversation can go without it being scary for a child, when it can be, and is a scary experience. Debuting end of March 2026. Preorders available here We're also looking at Guest speakers to join the conversation here Further details will be shared on my Instagram page or website

Still Kicking and Moving All Around

Hey Everyone, I'm doing well on this end. I'm currently in remission, and my follow-up next week will actually reconfirm that. We will also discuss the next steps. A lot has taken place this year and I'm just moving with the flow of things. I've been doing my share of writing via different formats online, so I'm excited about helping those also going through myeloma or any other blood-related cancer. I know this is still a harsh struggle for so many of my fellow MM's. I know in the past few months a few people I follow on social media have had a time with the prognosis of their disease, and one has recently passed away. When I hear stories like this it reminds me, that no matter remission this is still a blunt reality that never leaves you. I will always be on pins and needles, as so many of us living this new life. However, with that said I'm LIVING MY BEST LIFE  and doing what I want to do, with a great bunch of friends and family in my corner. Chec...