Skip to main content

Zometa or Crack....

My latest doctor visit left me with yet more decisions....

I'm feeling great! I feel alive I'm active, yet there always seems to be another master plan.
My labs are still stable, but after reviewing a long and dreaded MRI results, I say long and dreaded because there was a lot of drama arranging this appointment and getting my insurance to approve my lower pelvic, which I've had along with my spinal observation, so it was confusing why they were giving me an issue. Thankfully everything was cleared despite me having to come back to my hospital two separate days to do the exam as opposed to getting it done in one day.

Well the standing of the two prior lesions at the spinal area have not changed, but they did find faint viewing of two lesions now growing at the pelvic area. Did I mention a 3rd lesion at the lower spine disappeared from viewing and no longer exists......I'll talk about that and having faith later!

So what does this mean....

More ^^%@#^ things that I want to deal with is what it means! I mean like really dude...
So we've concluded my blood work (which is a good thing)- is not the true deterrent in seeing what is happening in terms of my myeloma being aggressively active; however, the MRI is saying theirs a small change in activity and now we may need to re-look at treatment.

Hence Zometa, the dreaded bone strengthener. Dreaded because it's in a form if IV every three months, and the proposed compromises to my body with ifs or maybe will I get the harsh side effects listed in terms of this medicine. The end of the year I'll need to do a bone marrow biopsy and a petscan to check exactly if there's need to be proactive in other areas as well. Again I'm young and active and quite frankly not having (knock on thin wood) issues that many other people in my predicament are experiencing. However, with that said I'm already nervous about the next steps ....
-does this now mean chemo
-does this now mean crazy side effects
-body changing more because of medicine

I was pissed and angry that here we go my flow and stable may now change because of this ongoing pest. The question of take Zometa or deal with a crack or fracture of the bone.....
I understand the importance of being proactive with the Zometa, but taking the medicine has always been something I've fought with my doctor for the past 3 years when it was presented on perhaps I should go on and take it before there was any issues- because what myeloma is teaching me is there will be issues sooner or later, but there will be issues. Depending on year ends developments my treatment plan may be zapping the area with radiation or the other dreaded drugs Revlimid, Thailidomide... I'm very familiar with the radiation process because of my treatment for my chest sternum some years back, so I know the devil of this walk rather the one of the actual drugs.

With this said I guess I must and can still say - I'm blessed and this is what I have to grill in my head despite the new developments. I'm alive, I'm breathing, I'm together- mentally and physically, therefore I'm so very blessed!

Zometa or Crack the choice is so obvious..... or is it?

Y

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plugging Multiple Myeloma

I had a wonderful conversation with a new friend on the trials of myeloma, and it was interesting that we’ve both experienced to some degree the nonchalant reactions when faced with our disease. The saying to walk a mile in one's own moccasins could never be far from the truth, sometimes you get the feeling that no one cares or your cause and or experience is not of interest...., or better yet taken seriously.... I'm reviewing various sources to promote Another Face of Multiple Myeloma , and after extensive research I found there a not many books on patient related experiences, which I find odd, with the exception of popular myeloma blogger Pat Killingsley, I found just two other personal stories from author's penned memoirs on myeloma, and one unfortunately passed away and the other I'm desperately trying to gather contact information. I was in the process of working with a top myeloma foundation to present my book to readers that could possbly relate to my experi

Mud Girl Obstacle 2023

 This was my first race that was a thrill to take part in. Multiple Myeloma has been a crutch that I've been able to keep at the back end of my shoulder. It is essential to keep living and doing which I tend to do at the 10th degree. Despite the labels, the Mudrun race was a new thing to do and crush. I live by breaking the rules and breaking those assumptions that life stalls. We do know life is short and I find it my kryptonite to not allow the powers that be which sometimes are out of my control to limit what I want to do; perhaps Im fortunate in being able to do things with some limits of course with a different mindset than most.  Crushing this feat of a 3-mile race with 17 obstacles in the mud, and making it through my fear of heights has now allowed me to consider other bucket list possibilities within reason to take a stab at. Cheers to living your best, even when the "You" has been tested at all degrees. Courtesy: Spitfir Production Courtesy: Spitfir Production

Nominated for Social Health Awards- Community Cultivator

  Click Here for Details